Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Swiffer Sweeper Reusable Pad Tutorial

Can I just say that I love my Swiffer Sweeper Vac? Seriously....LOVE it. However, what I do not love is the cost of those god forsaken...murtherfrickin one use only pads that you are supposed to use with it. Seriously, I do not want to pay almost $10 every time I need a box of refills. That just makes me angry. After searching online for a way to make my own pads (and there are several great tutorials out there) I decided to make my own. Not because the others don't work, I'm sure they do. But most of them involved socks (just a no for me), old T-shirts (we don't have any that we don't wear) or crocheting/knitting a pad (I don't want my cleaning pad to have holes in it, thank you). Sorry that the pictures are a little hard to see detail on, I only had black terry cloth for use on this project! So here it is, my version. Enjoy!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supplies:
  • 16" X 5 1/2" piece of terry cloth
  • Sewing machine





Construction:
Step 1: Fold the short ends in 2 3/4"
Step 2: Using a serger OR a zig zag stitch (with one end of the stitch going off the fabric and one catching the fabric) stitch down the length of the pad, sewing the folded ends in place. I used a shorter stitch length since terry cloth tends to "shed" once it's been cut. By using a serger or zig zag stitch it will help prevent this from happening.
Note: double check that your ends are secured...if not do a quick straight stitch close to the zig zag stitch to make sure it's going to stay in place.
Step 3: Turn so that the raw edges of the turned ends are inside the pocket.

Step 4: Top stitch along the length of the pad to make sure everything looks OK and is really held in place. Note: If you want, fold the edges that are not caught by the folded edge in 1/4" and top stitch them in place. It's not necessary and is purely cosmetic, but it is one option to make the pad look more "finished."
That's it! It will be slightly baggy on your swiffer, but will lie flat when you place it on the ground. It has to be a little loose so that you can fit it over the ends. 





post signature

No comments: