Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Customized Wine Glasses Tutorial


I wrote this tutorial for my friend Andrea over at Colorado Mama Chic. Since I haven't completed my next project, I thought I'd re-post it here. For now my projects may be a little farther apart than I would like, mainly because my son doesn't let me do much when he's awake and we're getting mentally prepared to move again. That means that crafting has to take a back seat a bit. That doesn't mean I won't be working on things, just that they will take me longer to complete, therefore my posts will take longer to come out. Hope you enjoy, and thanks for reading!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Personalizing Your Wine Glasses
I love the idea of, when you have people over, everyone knowing which glass is theirs. It makes for less dishes for me at the end of the night, and none of those embarrassing moments where a friend looks at you and says “Ummm…I think you’re drinking my wine.” Oops.
So, instead of buying those little wine glass markers that seem to always get lost or broken, I decided to customize my own wine glasses in such a way that they would both be visually pleasing and mark each individual person’s glass.

What you need:


  • A design in mind. I chose flowers, where each flower is blooming up at you when you drink from your glass, but anything you like will do. These are, after all, your personalized glasses.
  • A set of wine glasses. I got a set of 12 from World Market for $20.
  • Acrylic craft paint (I used Folk Art Enamels by Plaid, but any acrylic paint that you can bake will do)

  • Brushes in a variety of sizes

Steps:

1) Wash your glasses thoroughly. You don’t want to be picking bits of hair, dust, lint, etc. out of wet paint. Ick.

2) Once your glasses are completely dry, start painting! Just remember: whatever part you paint first is what will show on the inside of the glass, so if you are going for aesthetics inside and out, don’t plan on painting a lot of layers with different colors.


3) Place your wine glasses on a cookie sheet in a cool oven.

4) Set oven to 350 degrees F and allow to preheat. Once heated, bake for 30 minutes.

5) Allow glasses to cool in oven…I’d say an hour or so. The paint is setting one final time, so do not disturb!
6) That’s it, you’re done! You have a set of beautiful, customized wine glasses. Enjoy!


post signature

No comments: